Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How to Spot a Diabetic . . .

If you want to learn how to spot a diabetic from across the room, I'll give you a few pointers:

I have recently made friends with another women my age at church, we'll call her K, because that's what her name starts with, but I'm not sure if she'd want to be identified. So, a few weeks after I met K, I saw her walk into church with something attached to her arm. Could it be? Was it possible? Yes it WAS an insulin pump infusion set! I caught her attention and half lifted up my shirt to show her my pump site on my stomach. (I don't advise doing this in church to just anyone, by the way. People might get the wrong idea. ) She looked at me and gave me a knowing chuckle, and we talked D-shop for a few minutes before the service started. We were destined to be friends.

Recently, I got into her car and, as if the infusion pump sighting wasn't enough, I saw a half drunken juice box in her cup-holder. She does not have children. :) It's the very same brand of apple juice box I use to treat my lows.

So, Lesson No. 1 in spotting a diabetic is this:
The more obvious D-spotting sign is the pump site. The more trained eye will be able to see a juice box in a nearing-thirty-somethings car as an even more subtle sign.


2 comments:

  1. LOL, random d-sightings are always so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! This cracks me up! I'm not sure if you'll see this comment since this post is old, but it made me smile. Way to be observant way back when! I just found your blog and love reading your stories and experiences. Keep them coming.

    -"K"

    ReplyDelete